Friday, January 1, 2010

2010..Can we live with less? Yes we can!


Happy New Year!! It is now 2010, and after too many toasts of champagne and good eats, we come to the realization that it is a new year and we need to make changes and resolutions.

I don't know about you, but considering the state of our economy, things are picking up at a snails pace. But what this recession should have taught us (at least it has with me) is that we CAN live with less. Our parents and grandparents did and so can we! My parents came from Greece in the late 60s and when they were children, they hardly had any toys. Their childhood memories were playing marbles, ball, jumprope..you get the idea now. They were outdoors and used their imagination to play various games. I am not wishing to revisit an era that has already happened but as we get older, become parents we ask ourselves "where did we get all this STUFF?"

When I was in my twenties, I was always wanting to consume the latest purse, shoe, beauty item. It was a form of attainment that I would feel justified that I had whatever was "it" But as I have gotten older, I really ask myself: "Why?" I really do not want the latest, just something that is affordable, makes me comfortable in my own skin but most importantly really reading between the lines and looking at quality vs quantity. It does make a difference when you spend a few extra dollars on something that you know will last you a looong time.

Guess what? Purging is very cathatic. I do not want to be one of those hoarders on television where they keep everything. The feeling you get when you donate items (clothes, appliances, shoes..etc.) to your local charities provides such an altruistic emotion in that someone else will benefit. This is something I try and do all the time and no better time than the beginning of a new year. If it isn't making you happy...time to let it go!


We need to live with less.

Until then..keep smiling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment