Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Latte & Frugalista Chic






Ahh... the holidays are upon us... Images of sugar plums dancing in our heads while dreaming if Santa Claus will be providing us with treats (or a big fat lump of coal) under our Christmas trees. Who am I kidding?! That is what I want.. those images on the books I read to my son at bedtime. Meanwhile in the back of my head..ideas..thoughts..deadlines..to do lists.. keep spinning around faster than a holiday toy.
It is December already and I have to make sure the house is decorated, send the holiday cards, get those darn white lights installed outside, gear up for my son's birthday party (alas, he was born in December.. a true Sagittarius) STOP! When did life get so rushed and stressful? Oh, that's right, I am a grown up now. Want to know how I literally take a break and say to myself "You deserve it babe" Is it a manicure-pedicure? A trip to the salon? Nope, dear folks.
A Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte and Cranberry Bliss Bar. Decadent. The minute my eyes saw those red holiday cups I knew the holidays have finally arrived. While I enjoy every last drop and slowly eat each bite to savor those few precious moments I am one of those people that actually read the sayings on my latte holiday cup. This one is so true:

"We invite you to listen to your desires and to renew your HOPE. To see the world not as it is, but as it could be. Go ahead, Wish. It's what makes the holidays The HOLIDAYS."


Time to make that walk again on the walkway http://www.walkway.org/ to burn off those calories (smile). Maybe the next time I feel the need to hit the pause button I will try the Gingerbread and Peppermint Mocha Latte. All nonfat of course.


Frugalista and Recessionista.
When did being frugal sound so cool? When I hear the word 'frugal' I recall old ladies stealing sugar packets from restaurants having their early bird specials.
Now they are buzz words for the fashion world. Back in my day when I was a university student it was called shopping vintage at local thrift stores. Imagine my mothers' horror after my sister and I came home shopping from this cool store in Chicago called "The Alley" (were you literally would have to enter through a back alley) coming in with my old, er, vintage Doc Martens combat boots and army coat. "People have died in those clothes!! and you are bringing them in my house?" she would screech.



For those of us who have always wanted to look like the cover from a fashion magazine (moi) but cannot afford the fabulous clothes (again, moi), check out Nina Garcia for Target (pronounced 'tarjeht' in a fake french accent). Watching the cute little clips http://style.target.com/ there are such darling ways to wear the classics or the new trend without breaking the budget. Nina also shows you how important it is to have accessories..that bright handbag or scarf can really do wonders for your wardrobe. Sign up and you will receive email updates on the latest and greatest. C'est magnifique!!



~ Skin Byte ~
This is not to be confused with an insect bite (smile).
No matter where you live, a change in the seasons means your skin is changing as well. What used to be a hot and humid (or dry) summer and possibly autumn means a drier winter. Being indoors with forced heat and then cold dry air can wreck havoc on your skin. A 'frugalista' tip: Essential oils. People now call them 'serums'. Translation? Organic essential oils found at your local health food stores or Whole Foods.
All you need to do is after washing your face in the morning or getting ready for bedtime, just dab a few sprinkles on a handtowel and microwave for 2 minutes. Press firmly on your skin and relax for at least 20 minutes while the heat fades away from the towel. You will see amazing results since, like your figure, your skin needs to be fabulous during the holidays.

Until then...keep smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment